Google Groups : Java Glossary
Google Groups is a service
to let you read and post messages to the newsgroups using only your browser rather than a proper
I don’t recommend
using it except in an emergency for a number of reasons:
- It is much slower than using a proper newsreader.
- Google does not track which messages you have already read.
- There are bugs in Google. When you quote other people’s posts, Google
- Google encourages its users to casually create new newsgroups. That is not
something a novice should do. It is properly done only by consensus with extensive
- Google gives its users the impression that the newsgroups are its proprietary
invention. They are merely a tap into the global public newsgroups. When people
refer to the newsgroups as Google Groups they get pelted
with virtual vegetables for the hubris.
- Google’s login process is hopelessly buggy. It a matter of blind luck to
be able to login successfully.
- People who use Google Groups are dismissed as know-nothing newbies.