Men Seeking Men Webring Home : Gay & Black Glossary
©1997-2017 Roedy Green of Canadian Mind Products
Men Seeking Men Webring Home
The Men Seeking Men ring links together websites that run by gay
males seeking a male lover/partner. If you’re not familiar with the
concept of Rings, check out the WebRing.com or my essay on webrings. What makes this different from
Web Personals and other gay rings?
- There is detailed information about each person. Hopefully you can get you know
what they are like even before you contact them.
- You don’t have to be technically competent in
HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) to join
- You don’t even have to have a website to join the ring,
- This Ring is open to males seeking a male
lover/partner. If you fit some other category, seriously, start your own
ring modelled on this one. It is not hard.
- If you are looking for casual encounters, see personals in the gay glossary. Don’t apply here.
- Your site should at least be viewable without ActiveX. ActiveX is too big a security risk to turn on generally. You might still use this tool to enhance your site, but visitors without it
enabled should at least see something.
- Place your nav bar on the page most closely related to the webring topic, or on a page reserved for all your webrings. The URL you register at WebRing.com must be the exact
page where your navbar is. If you put navbar somewhere else, the automated link-checking software won’t be able to find it and WebRing.com will automatically suspend your membership in the
- Please validate the HTML on your website to make sure it contains no errors. Otherwise people who use a browser different from yours may not be able to see the fruits of your work. I suggest
using a validator called HTMLValidator. Click to
download a free copy.
|Please check that your own website works with all of these up-to-date-browsers:|
|Click the corresponding browser icon to download the latest free browser software, or click the browser name for more information.|
|Firefox||59.0.2||with the Java 1.8.0_131 JRE (Java Runtime Environment).
No longer suppoorts Java Applets. Most widely supported next to IE. Many add-ins. Very fast rendering.
Weak on table rendering. Best for printing. Fairly slow to start up.
Often stalls on first page from a new site. Must hit reload. 9% market share.
Firefox properly balances two-column layouts. None of the other browsers do.
Firefox displays SSL certificates.|
|Google Chrome||53.0.2785.92||with the Java 1.8.0_131 JRE.
Dropped support for Java Applets. Good for YouTube. Frequently automatically updated. Has no edit source button. Slow starting when it fiddles with a proxy. Poor downloading — it hides the fact it is doing so in the bottom left corner. Often downloads without you asking. Handles foreign language sites particularly well since it integrates with Google Translate by automatically translating. Best for interacting with Google. BrowserMark rates this as the fastest browser. Good for ecommerce. Can’t print white writing on a black background. 53% market share.|
|IE11||11.0.9600.17501||with the Java 1.8.0_131 JRE.
Now works with Java Applets. Some websites will work with no other browser, though many work on everything but this eccentric browser. 10% market share.|
|SeaMonkey||2.49.2||with the Java 1.8.0_131 JRE.
Similar to Firefox, with integrated Email. No longer supports Java Applets.|
|Safari||5.1.7||with the Java 1.8.0_131 JRE.
For both Macs and PCs. No longer supports Java. Apple has dropped support for the PC version. Freezes. Simple and stripped down. 12% market share.|
|Avant||2018:1||with the Java 1.8.0_131 JRE.
|Opera||48.0.2685.52||with the Java 1.8.0_131 JRE.
It no longer its own rendering engine, which was its main advantage. It uses Chrome. It no longer supports Java Applets.No longer lets you configure your own editor. No bookmarks. Implements SPDY for faster communication. In Turbo mode, caches pages in encrypted compressed form. 6% market share.|
|Edge||25.10586.0.0||with the Java 1.8.0_131 JRE.
Stripped down browser without features. It does not support Java or any other plug-in.|
- It costs nothing to belong to the ring. No ads will appear on your webpages.
As owner of this Ring, I make the final decision on who gets in… but hey, I’m pretty lenient!
Still interested? Then follow these instructions:
- Place your nav bar on the page where you describe yourself and the sort of
person you are looking for. The URL (Uniform Resource Locator)
you give to WebRing.com must be the exact page where the navbar is.
- I am not a prude,
but I won’t let you in if you are not looking for a lover, e.g. if you are
just trying to sell pornography or sell your sexual services.
The Three Ways To Participate
- Traditional: You compose your web page. You add the ring nav
bar to it. The page lives on your website. You control it and update it yourself at
- Via a link: You compose your web page using whatever tools you
have and upload it to your own website. You control it and update it yourself at
any time. I set up a web page for you on my site with the nav bar on it that points
to your page. And you set up a link that points back to this page. It will have the
form: http://mindprod.com/ggloss/menseekingmen/mickeym.html, where mickeym
is your Yahoo id. This mainly for people who use integrated
and have no idea how to insert a nav bar into their own web page, but do know how
to insert a link. Unfortunately, for this technique to work, you have to divulge
your Yahoo password to me, or email me your nav bar and set up the
- No Website: You don’t have a web page or any desire to
learn how to compose one. You just send me your text and photos by snail mail:
Precise address withdrawn due to too many death threats.
Victoria, BC Canada
or email them to me at
and I’ll compose them for you into a web page and post it on my site. You
can possibly suggest some colours you would like me to use. The
disadvantage of this route it you are relying on me to do the layout and any
changes for you. You won’t get it exactly the way you like since my
patience and artistic skill is limited. Unfortunately, for this technique to
work, you have to divulge your Yahoo password to me. You could also hire a
professional web page designer to help you.
Composing Your Web Page
If you want to join this ring, you are going to have
to get specific, both about yourself and the person you want to meet. Don’t
beat around the bush. Explain what makes you different from every other guy out there
on the net. Answer these questions:
Still interested? Then follow these instructions:
- How do people contact you? At the bare minimum, you will need
an email address, perhaps a phone number. Surprisingly you won’t get crank
calls. The email address is mandatory. If you think about it, it
makes no sense to post without it.
- Where are you? Country, State, City. How far are you willing
to relocate for the right guy? Do you have skills that makes it easy to find work
anywhere? Are you in a position to help someone to relocate to where you are and
- Physical: What is your race, height, weight, birthdate (year,
month, day). A photo is best along with the approximate date (year, month, day) it
was taken. There is not much point in this unless you have a photo since looks are
so important to the most people seeking a lover, not necessarily movie star looks,
but a certain something. Often pictures of you through the years gives a more of a
sense of who you are. People can sometimes fall in love with how you used to look,
even though they are perfectly aware you no longer look that way.
- Endowment: I would not mention your penis size. People who
truly have large ones rarely advertise that fact. They want to be loved for
something else. People who claim to have giant ones never show up for their dates.
I’m not a prude, just practical.
- Cultural Background: What is your cultural background? What
backgrounds most appeal to you in a lover?
- Personality: Are you gregarious or a loner? Are you talkative or
the strong silent type? Are you tactful or blunt? Do you have many secrets? Do
you tend to express or suppress emotions? You might take the Meyers-Briggs online
personality test to determine your type.
- intelligence: What is your IQ (Intelligence Quotient)
? What is your education? What are you looking for in a lover?
- Your ideal: What sort of person are you looking for ideally?
physical, mental, psychological. What range of ages are you willing to consider
given everything else were perfect? Do you like your guys big and beefy or little
and scrawny? Do you like them hairy chested or androgynous? What turns you on and
off physically. Don’t be shy here. Just because you prefer one race over
another or one hair colour over another does not make you evil. It is just a
preference, like preferring some house paint colours over others. People need
reassurance you will particularly like them. If you don’t do
that in your essay, guys won’t contact you.
- Exercise: How often do you exercise and what forms do you use?
What are you hoping for in a partner? Don’t ask for a guy who loves mountain
climbing every weekend if you aren’t up to it yourself.
- Health: Do you have any health problems, particularly your
HIV (Human Immuno-deficiency Virus) status? For some guys, HIV+ (Human Immuno-deficiency Virus Positive (infected))
will be a plus, for others a definite no. You might as well get that out in the
open before you start. How tolerant are you of health problems in your partner?
- Activities: What sorts of activity do you enjoy. Don’t
be afraid to mention stuff you don’t think others will be interested in. Your
ideal lover will go at last someone interested in what
I’m interested in. Do you have one of those fanatical hobbies like expensive
collections of stamps or small breakable objects that will consume every cent of
spare change and leave your partner wondering about the point to it all.
- Sex: I think it wise to let people know what sorts of sexual
activities you are willing to do and those which you pretty well insist on doing
or you wouldn’t want to get involved. Try to keep it tasteful but
- Heartfires: What sorts of things are very important to you?
your church? some cause? some sport? clothes? possessions? travel? family?
pets?… Who are your heroes and villains?
- Attitudes: What are your attitudes toward tobacco, alcohol,
marijuana, other drugs, monogamy, tidiness, Christianity, politics?
- To Avoid: What sorts of thing do you want to avoid in a
- What do you want? What sorts of things are you hoping to find
in a relationship. Pour your heart out. You are talking to your ideal lover who is
trying to find you.
- Music: What kind of music do you like?
- Why you? Why would someone enjoy having you as a lover? List
as many reasons as you can think of. Ask friends and former lovers to help.
- Humour: Who or what makes you laugh?
- His negatives: What can you tolerate in a lover that other
people might dislike? e.g. You might like or even prefer fat guys.
- Your negatives: Tell some of your negative traits. This makes
you real and approachable. Further, Harville Hendrix has a theory that these are
the true attractors. We seek people who have the same familiar flaws as our
- Skills: What skills do you have that your lover might enjoy,
e.g. you are a great chef, or you give dynamite massages.
- Money: How wealthy are you and how wealthy would you like your
partner to be? Some people want a lover wealthier than they are, sometimes they
want to be the wealthier partner, sometimes they want strict equality. Are you
expecting to be fully or partly supported or to support?
- Bower Bird:
Be creative. Think like a bower bird. What would attract
your mate? What would let people know what you are really like?
Decorate your page with art, music, photos, stories, links, poetry. Describe an
ideal day together. Show pictures representing your future life together. Your
page should be unlike any other. Don’t be afraid to be different. Not
everyone has to like your page; just one guy has to like it a lot.
- Who Else? Who else has to be considered, e.g. dependent
parents or children, pets, an existing lover…
- Fantasies: What are some of your fantasies? By that I
don’t mean being gang raped by a dozen well hung black guys, but something
like hiking in Tibet, or collecting tropical fish in the Amazon, or teaching school
in Africa, or quitting your job and becoming a book publisher, raising miniature
horses or… Maybe with the right guy something like one of those fantasies
could come true.
- Closetedness: How out of the closet are you? Who knows you are
gay? Friends, parents, co-workers, the local media? What do you want in a partner,
genderfuck, out and camp, out and conservative, don’t ask, don’t tell,
no one must ever find out?
- Living Together: What sorts of food do you eat? Are you a
carnivore, vegetarian or vegan? Do you eat only organic food? Do you eat many food
supplements? What rules do you want to impose on your lover? Do you want to sleep
in separate beds, or together tightly cuddled? Are you a morning, evening or
night-owl person? Do you like the room cool or warm?
- Being Found: Your page has to stand out above
the tens of thousands of other guys advertising on the net. Use vocabulary and
phrases in it that your guy might plug into a search engine hoping to find you. Use
the <meta name=KEYWORDS
content=xxx,yyy,zzz> feature to help the search
- Copy Me: If you are stuck, have a look at mine. I got a response saying that the
caller fit all my criteria with one glaring exception, gender. I decided give her
a chance. We’ve been together since 2000 July.
I’ve had quite a few nibbles from young males too. So I may eventually end
up with two lovers, one male and one female.
- Compose a web page telling all about yourself and the type of guy you would
like to meet. Upload it to your website.
- If you don’t know how to do that, just compose an essay about yourself,
and email or snail mail it to me along with some photos.
- Click join on the Males Seeking Males ring nav
bar below. Just follow your nose.
- If you want more explicit help on joining, maintaining your site etc, see the
instructions in the Java