The Secret of Donald Trump’s Success
I heard Donald Trump deny that he had groped three women accusers. He was completely convincing. However, I had previously heard him confess that he routinely grabbed women by the pussy without consent. I think it is more likely that the Donald is a practiced and polished liar than three women came forward to brave Trump and the Tea Party’s revenge.
Further, Trump tried to bamboozle us by suggesting the victims were too old to be sexually interesting. The attacks occurred decades ago when the victims were still young and attractive. An honest person would not attempt to deceive us like that.
I think his supporters are taken in by his skill at lying. They believe everything he says simply because he is so sincere sounding. They have no interest in background checks that might expose his bluster. They don’t want him to be caught lying.
People who have been bamboozled by a con man often bend over backwards to convince themselves there is no con. It is just too embarrassing to admit they have been had.~ Roedy (born:1948-02-04 age:68)
I have discussed most of the projects many times at length over the last decades on BIX which retained all postings in archives.
Pretty well everything I have to say about each project is spelled out here. I don’t have extra material to give you, unless I explicitly mention it. I don’t have the time to lead you by the hand through a project. If one project is too difficult to tackle at your current level of skill, pick a simpler one.
If you are unemployed, or just out of school, you might hone your skills by tackling some of these projects. They are more like the real world problems you will be given in the workplace. In the real world you have to write the specifications too. They are not handed to you on a plate the way they are in school. I give you many hints on how to solve the problems, far more than you would get in the workplace. These problems are intermediate in degree of hand-holding between school and the workplace.
I would be happy to implement any of these projects for you, for a fee, though I do not do homework.
|4DOS/tcc Describe Helper||0||$||0|
Finish the Work Of
Ada Lovelace and
|A Tractable AI Problem||7||-||0|
|Application Reinstaller and Mover||2||$$$||0|
|Atomic FTP Uploads||5||$$||1|
|Automatic File Update||3||$$$$||2|
|Baby Danger Simulator||2||$$||0|
|Baby Name Chooser||2||$||0|
|Backup to CD ROM burner.||2||$$$||0|
|Beginner’s Projects (very easy)||0||-||0|
|Best NTP Server||3||-||0|
|Birthday Card Maker||1||$||20|
|Book Store Referral Applet||3||$$||1|
|Bulk File Distributor||4||$$$$$||2|
|Bulk Spell Checker||2||$$||0|
Poll people on the web
for what they think about
Bush’s alleged crimes
and schedule information
in a usable form
exchange electronic business cards
during a voice call
|Calendar Icon Maker||1||0|
|Canonical Java Keyword Order||1||-||0|
|Celestial Body Tracker/Astrologer||2||$$||20|
|Chequebook Balancer Deluxe||3||$$$||5|
|Child Abuse Database
|Closest Download Mirror
|Conspiracy Theory Voter
|CSS Colour and Image Annotator||1||$||0|
|Date-Sensitive Search Engine
Delete Files With +ve and -ve Wildcards
|Directory and File Explorer||3||$$||?|
|Design Pattern Amanuensis||3||$$||0|
|Distracted Driving App||2||$$$$||0|
|Domain Search Engine
|Dynamic Version Control
|El Cheapo Certificate Authority||3||$$$||0|
|Explorer for Files and Directories||3||$$||?|
|Extension Associations Editor||2||-||1|
|Java Factory Method Finder||3||-||0|
|Fast Snail Mail
|Fast File Finder||2||$||3|
|Finder: for keys, glasses, wallet, TV remote, personal recorder, calculator, ruler…||2||$||10|
|File Spell Corrector: corrects spelling of file names||3||$$$||0|
|Fair Trade Webstores
|File and Directory Explorer||3||$$||?|
|Fine Print Comb||5||$$$||0|
|Fluffiness of File Formats||1||-||0|
|Food Allergy Tracker
|Foreign Language Trainer||3||$$$||0|
fast JVM (Java Virtual Machine) load
|GET to POST:||2||$||0|
|Hexadecimal Java Programmer’s Calculator||1||$||0|
Variable Length Record Files
Fast Program Load via suspended animation
Hiker flight plans and GPS (Global Positioning System) tracker rental
|History of The Common Man
|HTML Broken Link Finder||1||$$$||1|
|HTML Disturbed Link Patcher||2||$$$||1|
|HTML Encoding Changer||1||$||0|
|HTML Glossary Presenter||4||$||0|
|HTML from Java, Source Code Presenter||4||$||0|
|HTML and Java Static Macros||1||$$||0|
|HTML Spell Checker||1||$$||0|
& Boilerplate Refresher
|HTML Style Splitter||1||$||0|
|HTML Table Reorganiser||1||-||2|
|HTML Table Sorter||1||-||3|
|Ideal lover database search
|Transparent Image Cropper||0||-||0|
compress image files
Searches the web for a given file.
|In The Dark Stereo Components||4||$$$$$$||0|
integrated file migration/backup
|INI file tidier||2||-||0|
|Internet Credit Card
|Java Case Range||2||$||0|
|Java Class Overview||2||$||0|
|Java File System||6||$||0|
|Java Jar Catalog||1||-||0|
|Java Keyword Reorderer||1||-||0|
|Java JVM Manager
Switch between different versions of Java
|Java JDK Version Integrity||2||-||0|
|Java NoClassDefFoundError Amanuensis||1||$||0|
|Java Powered TV Commercials||3||$$$||0|
|Java Source Code Beautifier||5||-||10|
|Java Source Code Presenter||2||$||2|
|Java Source Code SCID:
|Java Swing Amanuensis||1||-||0|
|Java Swingizer: converts AWT (Advanced Windowing Toolkit) to Swing and back||1||$||0|
|JDK installation polisher||2||-||0|
|JDK Version Integrity||2||-||0|
|JDisplay Source Code Presenter||4||$||0|
Switch between different versions of Java
a smarter younger
brother to String and StringBuffer
|LINT for Java||6||$$||1|
|Long Distance Speeddialer :
Local Internet Connection Dialer
|MAC Ethernet Address||3||$||0|
|Menu and Keystroke Configurator||4||$||0|
|Mini Map Maker
|Motherboard finder/recommender/comparison shopper||3||$$$||0|
|Movie Star Recognizer
|Name That Composer||2||$||0|
|Name That Tune
|Native Class Amanuensis||2||$||0|
|Neural Net Project||3||-||0|
|PAD file tidier||1||$||0|
|PAD Spam Filter||2||$||0|
access CPUID, CPUSERNO and
RDTSC (Read Time Stamp Counter) Pentium instructions
|Planetary Mail Protocol
with Auto Updates
|Public Cell Phones||3||$$$$||0|
|PUT DATA amanuensis||0||-||0|
for Specifying Instructions
|Hi Fi Radio and TV Interviews||3||$$$$||0|
|Reading C Structs||3||$||0|
|Rearranger (Java source Tidy)||3||$||2|
|Reimplement Standard classes||2||$||0|
|Registration Key Generator||2||$||10|
|Reinstaller and Application Mover||2||$$$||0|
|Reorder File Contents||2||$||0|
|Replicator Plus: keep broadcast/plagiarised files up to date.||2||$$$||0|
|RFC Conversion To HTML||1||$$||0|
|Root Certificate Installer||1||$$||0|
|Faster Internet Routing||3||$$$||0|
File Transfer Protocol
SCID (Source Code In Database)
|Screen Capture OCR||4||$$$||0|
|Scrolling Mad Bee Style||3||-||0|
|SCROOM website avoider||3||$$||0|
|Search Engine Sharpener
|Secure Police Radio
|Serialized File Recovery||2||$$$||0|
|Simulate an Old Klunker Computer
for testing new apps to make sure
they will run quickly enough on
|Site Down Service||21||$$||0|
|Smart Furnace Thermostat||2||$$$||0|
|Smart FTP Uploads
|Sort Comparator Amanuensis||3||-||0|
|Spell Checker for HTML||1||$$||0|
|Stay In Touch Database
|Struct reader Amanuensis||3||-||0|
|Subway Sandwich Shop Order Taker||2||$$$$$$||0|
Fast Program Load
|Swingizer: converts AWT to Swing and back||1||$||0|
|Talk Like A Moron
A George Bush Speech impersonator.
|Tel-ID, telephonic ID verification||4||$$$$$||0|
|Text Speak ⇒ English Translator||1||$$$$$||0|
|Text To HTML||2||$$||0|
|5000 year Time Capsule||2||$$$||0|
|Tractable AI Problem||7||-||0|
|Unique Number Server
|Units of Measure Localisation||2||$||0|
|Universal Data Format||3||$$||0|
avoid changed file dates on files
that did not really change
|uPath to Relative
convert simple uPath href notation to
../../ relative notation.
|Voice Pitch Correction||3||$$$$||0|
|Wave The Flag||4||-||3|
|What’s That Char?||0||-||0|
|Which and What Utilities||1||-||0|
positive and negative wildcards
|Windows Explorer Replacement||3||$$||0|
|Xerlin clone: XML (extensible Markup Language) team project||1||-||25|
|XREF for Java classes||2||$||0|
|Yet Another Debugging Technique||2||$$||0|
Students imagine I have complete detailed specs written on every class. The key skill students must learn is writing the spec and doing the overall design of a decently large project. Any boob can code given a detailed class specification. In the real world you are never handed tidy perfectly-specified little problems than can be handled with two or three pages of code. In the real world, you won’t even get project outlines anywhere near as detailed as I have given you here. They will never contain any implementation hints as my outlines do. You have to pull teeth to get even the vaguest information about what the program should do. You have to write prototype systems. Only then are your users smart enough to tell you what they really wanted, or are you smart enough to suggest to them possible options they might enjoy.
My advice for a student who thinks a project is too difficult, is to create a sub project that he thinks he might tackle successfully, or try a simpler different project entirely. After that experience, he can add a bit more complexity. Trying to solve the problem all at once just leads to overwhelm. Don’t feel embarrassed that the sub project would have no practical use. It is just a stepping stone.
Though I have no additional materials to send you, I am willing to answer specific questions about the projects. I will normally add that material into the project descriptions for others too.
For team projects underway you can join Asynchrony, Enhydra or SourceForge.
Trump’s Climate Change Lie
Trump tells a lie without any evidence that the Chinese invented climate change as a hoax to harm the USA. How plausible is this lie?
~ Roedy (born:1948-02-04 age:68)
- Scientists from every country on earth say Trump’s hoax is nonsense. Why would they all be complicit with a Chinese conspiracy?
- According to Trump, given that all scientist must be in on the hoax, why has there not been even one whistleblower been willing to reveal documents?
- It is not just climate scientists, but scientists in general who have read the research papers and declared them valid. By Trump’s logic, they too must be in on the conspiracy. Also their assistants, the staff of all the science magazines, the science bloggers… all must be in on the conspiracy. This would be the first such planetary conspiracy in history. The famous Piltdown man conspiracy had no more than three crooks.
- Global warming is not rocket science. Back in the 1800s the famous Swedish chemist Svante Arrhenius discovered the mathematical formula for how much the global temperature rises with a given release of CO₂. When did his discovery become controversial? Does Trump claim Arrhenius too was in on the Chinese conspiracy?
- Trump believes the earth as a whole is not warming, even though he has never taken the necessary thousands of measurements all over the globe over time to average. As proof, his friend Senator James Inhofe displayed a snowball. Inhofe is befuddled by the difference between local weather and global climate. In 2016-11 scientists measured the temperature of the arctic. It was 20°C (36°F) above normal. Imagine if you walked into your back yard today and it was 20°C (36°F) hotter than normal. That is the difference between freezing and short-sleeve shirt weather.
- Businessmen believe in climate change. They are busily arranging cruises through the newly ice-free arctic waters.
- Some climate change deniers accept that CO₂ levels are rapidly rising and that it is causing the whole world to heat up, but they deny the source is man. They posit some mysterious source. But we know to three decimal places just how much CO₂ is emitted when you burn 1 litre (1.06 US quarts) of gasoline or burn 1 cubic metre (1.31 cubic yards) of natural gas. We have historical financial records of fuel sales. We know that we have burned a shitload of fossil fuel (about half the world supply) and thus released a shitload of CO₂, quite enough to kick the shit out of the climate. What Trump is doing like having a diarrhoea attack, leaving it for others to clean up, then trying to blame an invisible canary.
- When Trump talked about climate change during the election, it became clear he did not know the difference between climate and weather. If he is that clueless about things even a second grader understands, his understanding of his alleged hoax is surely just as addled.
- Why would the Chinese let Trump in on their conspiracy?
- We have been directly measuring CO₂ levels since 1950. We can go back 400,000 years before that by measuring bubbles in ice cores. Today’s levels are higher than they ever been before. Climate change deniers reject these measurements including ones made long before the hoax was allegedly hatched. Yet the deniers offer no better measurements or an explanation why every measurement ever taken was wrong. They trust you will not look at their argument too closely.
- We have been directly measuring temperature at various spots on the globe for centuries. Even Thomas Jefferson kept meticulous temperature records. By averaging the spot measurements over the year at various places on the globe we can compute the average global temperature. The average can rise even when some spots are unusually cold. Today we have satellites to help gather readings especially over the ocean. Climate change deniers reject these measurements, including ones made long before the hoax was allegedly hatched. Yet the deniers offer no better measurements or an explanation why every measurement ever taken was wrong. They trust you will not look at their argument too closely. The warming is so pronounced that lay people can now notice it as plants and animals migrate north over the years. They can also notice the trees and plants blooming earlier each year and the birds returning earlier each year.
- Climate change is very basic science. Predicting exactly how it will progress is rocket science, but that is happening and that this a bad thing is pretty darn simple. The main extra thing you need to know is there is more than one greenhouse gas. Methane (cow farts) CH₄ is 25 times more potent than CO₂. Livestock are thus creating about 20% of the climate change problem.
This page is posted
Optional Replicator mirror
Your face IP:[126.96.36.199]
You are visitor number|