Limits To Intuition
Intuition helps us discover truth, but it cannot tell us what is true. Our intuition/common sense works very well for life on earth on land, for a radius of about 0.52 megameter (323.11 miles) and for time from a second to 80 years. Outside that, it does not work as well because on different scales, the universe behaves in a counter-intuitive way. For example:
~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:69) Quantum Leap: how matter behaves at the atomic level
- to our intuition, the earth appears flat.
- to our intuition, the earth does not move.
- to our intuition, rocks, continents and glaciers are stationery.
- to our intuition, you need force to keep an object in motion. Math and science say that barring friction, force will cause an object to accelerate. It requires no push to keep it going. Think of objects floating about a space station.
- to our intuition, matter never springs from nothing, but if it didn’t your pocket calculator would not work. Particles spring out of nothing all the time.
- to our intuition, my personal CO₂ emission is insignificant. Therefore we need not worry about our collective emissions.
- Our intuition cannot conceive of what Einstein’s claim that space is curved means. We have to understand via math.
Intuition looks at the Mandelbrot fractals and says, those intricate patterns could not arise just out of math. They had to be the result of Intelligent Design even though they are not physical objects.
Where did intuition cut its teeth to learn what sort of thing math can produce all on its own?
- We cannot comprehend of the notion of the beginning of time or the expansion of space. Only a few of us have the skill to grasp them via math. The evidence is mathematical. If you cannot understand the math, or the measurements, you have no business telling those that do, their business.
- We cannot conceive of how undetectable changes given millions of years could add up to transform a four-legged wolf-like creature into a whale. The closest we can come to is noticing how the hour hand on a clock, though we cannot see it move, completes a circuit each 12 hours.
- Let me give you an idea how off your intuition is. Science tells us the evolution of whale from land animals took about 20 million years. That is 200,000 centuries. If the legs of the proto-whales shrunk even 100 microns (3,937.01 microinches) per century (a tenth the size of the smallest division on a ruler), how much would they have shrunk after 200,000 centuries? — 20 metres (21.87 yards). There is plenty of time for gradual change.
|Dreadful Music||Dreadful artists and genres of music. 2017-05-21|
|Bad Music||How to write bad music. 2017-05-21|
|Recommended Music||Music Roedy recommends. 2017-05-21|
|Canada Pensions||Canadian social safety net 2017-04-18|
|Lying||Lying on a mass scale 2017-06-20|
|Quotations||Quotations on all manner of topics. 2017-06-24|
|Quotations of Gandhi||large collection of quotations of Mahatma Gandhi 2017-05-21|
|Evil||What is evil? A look at the popular image and a more realistic one. 2017-01-02|
|Inured to Violence||A short discussion of the process by which violence escalates and we become inured to that violence. 2017-05-21|
|Ape Mind||Man has got himself in trouble by marrying his mammalian brain motivational system with his powerful rational mind. 2017-05-21|
|Karma||Karma explained simply. 2017-05-31|
|The Art of Persuasion||The art of selling ideas, as perceived by a Vulcan. 2017-05-21|
|Perfume||The ethics of wearing perfume and some hints on how to select it. 2017-05-21|
|Casual Sex||The advantages and disadvantages of casual sex. 2017-05-21|
|TV Idiocy||Analysis of some well known vacuous TV advertising slogans. How TV announcers mangle English syntax. 2017-05-21|
|Onions||The People I despise:. what do Bill Gates, Adnan Khashoggi, Pope Jean Paul II, Fred Phelps and Charlton Heston have in common? I don’t like them. Read why. 2017-06-21|
|The People I Love||history of Roedy’s romantic attachments with photos. 2017-01-02|
|Planetary Heroes||The People Who Inspired me. 2017-06-20|
|Product Endorsements||Unpaid product endorsements, Products I personally endorse e.g. Sonicare toothbrushes, Plax dental rinse, Braun Multimix Blenders, Gillette Mach 3 Razor Blades, Febreze and Kinesis Keyboards. It is so rare that products live up to their hype. These products do. 2017-05-09|
|Product Pans||Products I personally recommend you avoid e.g. Flexon eyeglass frames and Colgate toothpaste. 2017-04-18|
|Proposed Music Video||An outline of a music video with the theme Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 2017-01-02|
|Upbeat Music||A collection of songs to get you energised. 2017-03-20|
|Feedback||Read feedback from readers of the ethics section. If you don’t want your message and my reply publicly posted, please let me know. 2017-06-24|
God is all powerful, and don’t you dare hurt his feelings.~ Dan Barker (1949-06-25 age:67)
This page is posted
Optional Replicator mirror
Your face IP:[188.8.131.52]
You are visitor number|