flat screen : Computer Hardware Buyers’ Glossary
- flat screen
A flat LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) monitor. Even though they are digital inside they use a conventional VGA (Video Graphics Adapter) analog monitor connection.
- Take up less desk space.
- Take up less AC (Alternating Current) power.
- Won’t kill your child if it topples in an earthquake.
- No flicker.
- No pincushion effects or other distortions in the corners.
- Sometimes don’t view well from an angle. Not good if several people are watching the screen.
- Usually more expensive, though prices are dropping.
- Resolution is limited by the cell size on the lcd panel. You will usually get blockier letters than you
would with a high quality conventional monitor.
- The screen surface is more delicate. The image will deform if you touch it.