Limits On The Universe
The universe couldn't have come into existence by it self… that’s crazy… what are the chance of a little energy coming out of nothing?~ John Johnson
You have a brain the size of a cantaloupe. How is that brain supposed to know for certain what the entire universe may or may not do, especially when that brain has carefully avoided learning anything about how the cosmos does behave?
But Quantum Mechanics shows particles pop into and out of existence all the time and the universe was smaller than an atom at the big bang. So no big deal. Your computer could not work if that were not so.
What I find really odd, is in your view, if you add a wizard and a magic wand, then the universe has no problem popping into existence. The wizard explains nothing. It just adds the puzzles where did the wizard come from? Who made the wizard’s gown? Where did the wand come from? How does waving a wand create universes? How does the wand know what the wizard wants to create? Does it have an ESP (Extra Sensory Perception) interface? Where is the wizard before he creates space? What was he doing before he got into the creation business? What is he doing now the creation is over and he has become undetectable? How did he create himself? You have not explained anything. You have just exploded the complexity of the problem.
|Baby Naming||choosing a name for baby 2017-07-01|
|Funerals||Funerals and corpse disposal. 2017-05-21|
|Evolution Glossary||Glossary of Terms used in Discussing Evolution and Creationism. 2017-05-17|
|Yahweh is Fictitious||Why I am very sure Yahweh is fictitious. 2017-07-12|
|Books about Religion||Books about religion, atheism and evolution. 2017-06-27|
|Why I Am Not A Christian||Bertrand Russell’s classic 1927 essay on why he is not a Christian. 2017-07-17|
|Evidence||Evidence for God. A short sci-fi story. 2017-05-17|
|Deprogramming||Ethical ways to free Christians of their delusions. 2017-05-17|
|Intelligent Design||Evolutionary theory does include Intelligent Design, just not the way Creationists imagine. 2017-07-15|
|Did a God Write the Bible?||Why it is highly unlikely a god wrote the bible. 2017-05-21|
|Separation of Church and State||The necessity of preserving the separation of church and state. 2017-08-01|
|Combating Kristianity||Why I believe it is necessary to combat Kristianity, non-violently of course, by exposing its lies, wishful thinking and tall tales to the light of truth. 2017-08-16|
|Noah||Why it is unlikely that God wrote the entire Bible. A list of Biblical oopsies (inconsistencies). Why the story of Noah is a tall tale in the same league with the tales of Paul Bunyan. 2017-08-12|
|A Bible Study Guide||The parts of the Bible the churches don’t want you to notice. 2017-08-10|
|King James Bible||The complete text of the King James Bible in HTML format. 2017-01-02|
|Is There A God?||Exploring the big questions. Is there a God and if so what is He like? 2017-08-14|
|The Real God||The nature of the real God. 2017-07-17|
|Godless Quotations||Short Tweetable quotations about religion and atheism. 2017-01-02|
|Quotations about Religion||Quotations about religion, especially Christianity, from both atheists and believers. 2017-08-16|
|Quotations about evolution||Quotations about evolution vs. creationism 2017-08-17|
|Quotations from Christians||Quotations from obnoxious Christians, usually in favour of bigotry or ignorance. 2017-08-17|
|Unjustified Certainty||The problem of unjustified certainty, especially religious fanaticism. 2017-08-16|
|Church Tax Subsidies||Why I think we should phase out church property tax subsidies. 2017-01-02|
|Was Jesus Gay?||Was Jesus a homosexual? Decide for yourself on the validity of the biblical evidence. 2017-07-12|
|Tennessee Law Book||If the Religious Right gained power, how the laws of Tennessee would be worded. 2017-07-06|
|The New Ten Commandments||The existing set of commandments focus on trivia and miss the major sins. I have reformulated them to bring them up to date. 2017-07-02|
|life after death||various beliefs about what happens after you die. 2017-05-21|
|CCism||A new religion based on Cosmic Consciousness. 2017-07-13|
|fatalism||religious and secular fatalistic philosophies. 2017-05-21|
|Rational Morality||An alternative to morality based on religious myth. 2017-05-21|
|Are We Alone?||Are we alone in the universe? Is there life in other parts of the universe? 2017-07-13|
|Christian Apology||The apology I would like to hear the pope to read on behalf of all Christians for the harm they have done to our planet with their nutty beliefs. 2017-07-17|
|Living Love||My cult, founded by Ken Keyes Jr. It teaches techniques to reduce mental suffering. 2017-08-18|
|Gay Civil Rights||The battle between equal civil rights for gays and right wing Christianity. 2017-01-02|
|Feedback||Read feedback from readers of the religion section. If you don’t want your message and my reply publicly posted, please let me know. 2017-05-21|
|Christmas Carols||Lyrics to 69 Christmas carols. 2017-01-02|
Religions, particularly fundamentalist religions, instill toxic beliefs in their adherents. Some of these beliefs, near the top of the list, society can tolerate. Others, near the bottom it cannot.
- Claiming that miracles happened in the past, e.g. that Mohammad flew to the heavens on the back of a horse.
- Claiming that prayer will help someone recover from illness.
- Insisting that only ineffective means should be used to treat sick children.
- A belief that their religious beliefs and their desires trump everyone else’s. For example, a group of Muslims moved in next to a pig farm in the USA. The owner’s family had been running the pig farm for 200 years. The Muslims then demanded the farmer stop raising pigs because, in their view, living near pigs was wicked, and the farmer had no right to do it under Islamic law and they wanted to build a mosque on the land they purchased. The farmer countered that the Muslims should not have moved in next door knowing there was an existing pig farm. US law permits raising pigs so Islamic law was irrelevant. The Muslims offered no compensation. They behaved in a preposterously high handed way based on their belief in their own superiority to non-Muslims.
- Discriminating against gay people and killing them for religious reasons. Christians mostly call for others to kill gays. Muslim extremist groups kill gays and also kill anyone who calls for gay equality. In many parts of the world, e.g. Africa and the middle east, the state kills gays at the urging of religion.
- Belief that you should kill anyone who does not have the exact same religious beliefs as you do. The bible commands you to kill not only all non-believers but all people living in the same village. Thankfully, most modern Christians ignore this verse Deuteronomy 13:13-17. ISIS (Islamic State of Iraq and Syria), Boko Haram and other fanatical Muslims routinely kill infidels.
The question remains, just how far should we go to eliminate these toxic beliefs? Just how tolerant should we be of this nutty, hurtful behaviour? My thinking is we should be equally firm when the behaviour is motivated by religion and by malice. We must not let religious bullies control our lives. Giving in to them just encourages them.~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:69)
This page is posted
Optional Replicator mirror
Your face IP:[220.127.116.11]
You are visitor number|