The current version is 0.7.10
Last revised/verified: 2010-03-11.
This is a free, open source HTML (Hypertext Markup Language)
WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor. It has four
- normal editing
- show all tags
- raw HTML source
- preview as if in browser
This editor is very similar to Blue
Griffon because they both derived from Nvu. There have not
been any releases since 2010. The project may have been abandoned.
It does not come with an installer or installation instructions. Unfortunately,
this will scare off many less experienced users who could benefit from this editor.
Here is what to do:
- Download the zip.
- Unzip the contents into
"X:\Program Files\KompoZer 0.7.10\"
- Create a shortcut to
"X:\Program Files\KompoZer 0.7.10\kompozer.exe"
- This is a very intuitive editor. Everything behaved pretty much as I expected
it to. It even understood what I meant when I deleted a generated number on a
- The renderings are accurate.
- It is quite responsive.
- It keeps inserting </dd><dd> whenever
I insert text in an <dd></dd>
block. This never makes sense since <dd> is
always preceded by<dt>.
- It gets the colourising badly wrong in source mode.
- Ctrl-C Ctrl-X Ctrl-V do not work in Normal mode.
- Undo Ctrl-Z does not work.
- It builds anchors with <a name= instead of
- It complains every page cannot be edited for some unknown reason, then happily
Requests for Change
- When you switch modes, you should not lose your place. The cursor should stay
at the same spot in the text and the cursor should be at the same physical spot on
- It needs a faster way to apply span styles. Picking them out of a long pull
down list is too slow. How about repeating the recently used styles at the top, or
providing a keyboard shortcut to apply the last style?
- It needs an integrated syntax checker.
- One of the styles you can apply should be "none" .
- By default, anchors should be upper case.
- It strips spaces before and after comments. You should be able to configure it
to stop doing that. Some comments are macros, not comments.
- It inserts whenever I type two spaces. I
would like to configure that feature off. That is never what I intend. If I want an
I will type it explicitly.