To view this page, you should have the most recent Java installed
(Java Runtime Environment
. Older versions
have a security flaw.
This Applet will run online in your browser, but it is a hybrid you
can also download, install and run it on your own machine as standalone
application. It will start and run faster if you do that. It will also
work safely even if you have disabled Java in your browser.
This Applet will show you all the Java system properties. This will help you diagnose problems with the CLASSPATH,
which JVM (Java Virtual Machine) vendor and version you are getting, your time zone, etc. Wassup is also available with Java source to
download. When you run Wassup as an application it shows you
considerably more information. The Java sandbox considers it a security risk to reveal that information to an Applet.
Which Properties Will You See?
Applications, including Jet-compiled applications, will see the most properties. Signed Applets will see somewhat fewer, and unsigned Applets will see only a few. The policy
file controls which you will see.
In your own programs, you can probe system properties with code like this:
final String jv = System.getProperty( "java.version" );
You can tell if you are using a 32-bit or 64-bit
by looking at the
os.arch = amd64 (64-bit) or os.arch = x86 (32-bit)
If this Applet does not work, check the Java console. You may have very old version of Java or none at all.
If, Wassup, the above Java Properties Prober signed Java Applet (that can also be run as an application) does not work…
Get New Java Get New Browser
- Often problems can be fixed simply by clicking the reload button on your browser.
- This signed Java Applet (that can also be run as an application) needs 32-bit (not 64-bit) Java 1.2 or later.
For best results use the latest 1.7.0_40.
In the Java Control Panel, configure medium security to allow vanilla unsigned applets to run.
- You also need a recent browser.
- It works under any operating system that supports Java e.g. W2K/XP/W2003/Vista/W2008/W7-32/W7-64/W8-32/W8-64/W2012/Linux/LinuxARM/LinuxX86/LinuxX64/Ubuntu/Solaris/SolarisSPARC/SolarisSPARC64/SolarisX86/SolarisX64/OSX
- You should see the Applet hybrid above looking much like this screenshot. If you don’t, the following hints should help you get it working:
- For this Applet hybrid to work, you must click grant/accept to give it permission to read the restricted system properties.
If you refuse to grant permission, the program may crash with an inscrutable stack dump on the console complaining about AccessController.checkPermission.
- Optionally, you may permanently install the Canadian Mind Products code-signing certificate so you don’t have to grant each time.
- If the above Applet hybrid appears to freeze-up, click Alt-Esc repeatedly to check for any buried permission dialog box.
- If you have certificate troubles, check the installed certificates and remove or update any obsolete or suspected defective certificates. The only certificate used by this program is mindprodcert2013dsa.cer.
- Especially if this Applet hybrid has worked before, try clearing the browser cache and rebooting.
- To ensure your Java is up to date, check with Wassup. First, download it and run it as an application independent of your browser, then run it online as an Applet to add the complication of your browser.
- If the above Applet hybrid does not work, check the Java console for error messages.
- If the above Applet hybrid does not work, you might have better luck with the downloadable version available below.
- If you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer 7, 8 or 9, try another browser. Seriously. Microsoft has taken great pains, over and over, to screw up Java and every other multi-platform standardisation.
- If you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer 7, 8 or 9, you must click to allow blocked content permission for Active X to run. This also gives permission to Java to run. Click the Information bar, and then click Allow blocked content. Unfortunately, this also allows dangerous ActiveX code to run. However, you must do this in order to get access to perfectly-safe Java Applets running in a sandbox. This is part of Microsoft’s war on Java. Don’t put up with it! Use a different browser.
- If you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer 9, makes sure the Java Plug-In SSV helper add-in is installed and enabled.
If it is not, try reinstalling the Java JRE.
- If you have Windows 7 64-bit
and Internet Explorer 64-bit,
in theory you can use 64-bit Java,
but I never been able to get it to work.
- Try upgrading to a more recent version of your browser, or try a different browser e.g. Firefox, SeaMonkey, Safari or Avant.
- If you still can’t get the program working click HELP for more detail.
- If you can’t get the above Applet hybrid working after trying the advice above and from the HELP button below, have bugs to report or ideas to improve the program or its documentation, please send me an email at.
Oracle’s Javadoc on getProperties
class : available:
Java source, compiled class files, jar and documentation to run on your own machine either as an application or an Applet.
Runs on any OS that supports Java e.g. W2K/XP/W2003/Vista/W2008/W7-32/W7-64/W8-32/W8-64/W2012/Linux/LinuxARM/LinuxX86/LinuxX64/Ubuntu/Solaris/SolarisSPARC/SolarisSPARC64/SolarisX86/SolarisX64/OSX.
First install the most recent Java.
To install, extract the zip download with WinZip,
(or similar unzip utility) into any directory you please,
often J:\ — ticking off the
use folder names option.
To check out the corresponding source from the Subversion repository, use the TortoiseSVN repo-browser to
access wassup source in repository with [Tortoise] Subversion client on wush.net/svn/mindprod/com/mindprod/wassup/.
After you have installed the jar, you can run it as an application. Type:
java -jar J:\com\mindprod\wassup\wassup.jar
adjusting as necessary to account for where the jar file is.
download ASP PAD XML program description for the current version of Wassup.
Full source included.
You may even include the source code, modified or unmodified
in free/commercial open source/proprietary programs that you write and distribute. Non-military use only.
available on the web at:
optional Replicator mirror
on local hard disk J:
Please email your
feedback for publication
letters to the editor, errors, omissions, typos, formatting errors, ambiguities, unclear
wording, broken/redirected link reports, suggestions to improve this page or comments to
If you want your message, your name or email kept confidential,
not considered for public posting, please explicitly specify that.
Unless you state otherwise,
I will treat your message as a letter to the editor that I may or may not publish
After that, it will be too late to retract it.
If you disagree with something I said, especially when sending an ad-hominem attack,
a rant composed mainly of obscenities or a death threat, please quote the offending passage
and cite the web page where you found it, tell me why
you think it is wrong,
and, if possible, provide some supporting evidence.
I can’t very well fix erroneous or ambiguous text if I can’t find it.
Your face IP:[184.108.40.206]
||You are visitor number