Skype VOIP : Computer Hardware Buyers’ Glossary
©1997-2017 2009-04-28 Roedy Green of Canadian Mind Products
- Skype VOIP
A free VOIP computer-to-computer Internet
voice and video phone service. For extra charge, but still below the cost of long
distance you can also call conventional land line phones. That service is called
skypeout. For an extra charge, you can have a traditional
phone number that follows you around the planet. That service is called skypein. It looks to your callers like a traditional land line in the
USA. You can’t use it for 911 emergency service. It works with a microphone,
your PC (Personal Computer) sound card and screen.
You can embed a Skype number in your HTML (Hypertext Markup Language)
When the user clicks the link, it will set up a Skype call, providing the
association between callto and Skype is intact.
- Very cheap, flat rate, long distance both to other Skype users and people in
North America with ordinary phone service.
- If both ends have high speed Internet connections and decent software, such as
the Apple iPad Skype, the voice is very clear without cutous and the visuals are
- With poor Internet connections, the voice quality is pretty bad, like long
distance back in the 1950s. It is a bit like someone
talking down a vacuum cleaner hose. It find it both depressing and amusing that
digital telephones give worse voice quality, have more cutouts and take longer to
set up calls that the primitive analog phones of Alexander Graham Bell’s
- When someone calls a regular phone with Skype, the callee hears his own voice
echoing back in short bursts. This is quite distracting. It sounds as if the callee
is trying to interrupt.
- If the Internet is busy, there are frequent cutouts.
- When the callee is talking, Skype cuts off the caller’s background
sounds, so it feels to the caller like talking to dead air.