XFORMS : Java Glossary
©1996-2017 Roedy Green of Canadian Mind Products
An improvement over regular HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) forms in that
data is strongly typed and type checking happens locally. The contents of the form
are send as an XML (extensible Markup Language) document which does not require a custom parser.
Xforms allow you to:
It is still pretty primitive for client side data validation, but at least it is
a step up from ordinary HTML
forms. XFORMs works with ordinary HTTP (Hypertext Transfer Protocol)
servers. Unfortunately, none of the browsers support them without some sort of
- Check data values while the user is typing them in.
- Indicate that certain fields are required and that the form cannot be
submitted without them.
- Submit forms data as XML.
- Integrate with Web services, for instance by using
SOAP (Simple Object Access Protocol) and
RPC (Remote Procedure Call).
- Submit the same form to different servers (for instance a search string to
different search engines).
- Save and restore values to and from a file.
- Use the result of a submit as input to a further form.
- Get the initial data for a form from an external document.
- Calculate submitted values from other values.
- Constrain values in certain ways, such as requiring them to be in a certain
- Build shopping basket and wizard style forms without resorting to