sanitation : Gay & Black Glossary
©1997-2017 2008-03-29 Roedy Green of Canadian Mind Products
If you are immune compromised, you need to take extra care with sanitation. Here are
some tips to protect yourself. These sound overly prissy and obsessive, but they can
save you many hours wedded to the porcelain.
- Avoid touching surfaces in a public washroom. Use a paper towel to grasp the
tap handles or the exit door knob.
- Even in a private home, tap handles and the bathroom doorknob quickly become
contaminated. Clean them frequently. To protect others from the load of bacteria
you are carrying, wipe down the taps and door knob after every time you use a
bathroom. If you are not careful, you will re-infect yourself after you wash your
hands when you turn the taps off.
- When you wash your hands make sure you soap up all over your hands and scrub
up past the wrists. A quick rinse will not suffice. When you think
you are done, give them a sniff to check for cleanliness.
- Avoid travelling in public transport when it is crowded.
- Avoid eating at a pot luck or whenever a number of amateurs have prepared the
food. All it will take is one of them making a small mistake in preparation or
preservation to make you deathly ill.
- Be aware than any surfaces the public touches are crawling with all manner of
bacteria. These would include poles you grip in bus, shopping cart handles, fast
food restaurant tables, escalator railings, stair railings and push door handles to
enter a store or business. Be careful not to touch your face until you have washed
your hands after touching any one of these surfaces.
- Treat raw or partly cooked meat as if it were radioactive. Be very careful not
to eat it, or anything it has touched, or anything that has touched a surface it
- Don’t eat anything whose best-before date has expired.