compliment : Gay & Black Glossary
Compliments usually fall flat for some of the following reasons:
- They are insincere.
- They strain credulity.
- The recipient has heard them many times before.
- They scream ulterior motive.
Instead go for compliments with a little bite.
- Don’t give them to people when you want a favour or to get into bed with
them. Give them when they couldn’t do you a favour.
- Notice something that could be interpreted either positively or possibly
negatively. If the recipient chooses to take your compliment negatively, that is
their prerogative. This way you will avoid being too saccharine.
- Ask a question rather making a comment. It opens the door to them elaborating
and, in effect, complimenting themselves.
- Say something original, that you are sure they have never heard before.