Why Bitumen is Junk Energy
Bitumen is junk energy. A joule, or unit of energy, invested in extracting and processing bitumen returns only four to six joules in the form of crude oil. In contrast, conventional oil production in North America returns about 15 joules. Because almost all of the input energy in tar sands production comes from fossil fuels, the process generates significantly more carbon dioxide than conventional oil production.~ Thomas Homer-Dixon (born:1956 age:60) in The Tar Sands Disaster
|Legalising Marijuana||The case for legalising marijuana. 2016-08-30|
|US Health Care||Public vs Private Health Care in the USA 2016-07-11|
|Abortion||Breaking the logjam in the polarised Abortion debate. 2016-08-30|
|Homelessness||Ending homelessness. 2016-08-04|
|Fair Trade Chocolate||Give cocoa growers a fair price for their cocoa. 2016-08-04|
|Fair Trade Coffee||Give coffee growers a fair price for their coffee. 2016-08-30|
|Racism||What can be done about racism in Canada. 2016-07-11|
|Euthanasia Rights||Arguments for legalised physician-assisted suicide. An account of David Lewis’s suicide. 2016-08-30|
|Suicide||Talking to suicidally depressed people. 2016-07-11|
|Boat People||Three solutions to the problem of illegitimate refugees arriving on rusted out boats. 2016-07-11|
|Child Pornography||An argument for more compassionate and consistent handling of penalties for pedophilia and child pornography. 2016-08-14|
|Taboos||A discussion of taboos, how they got started and whether they still apply. 2016-07-11|
|Crime and Punishment||Vengeance-based systems of criminal justice are not able to stop rising crime. What else could be tried? 2016-07-11|
|Timothy McVeigh||Inside the mind of the Oklahoma bomber. 2016-08-30|
|Gay Civil Rights||The battle between equal civil rights for gays and right wing Christianity. 2016-07-11|
|Feedback||Read feedback from readers of the human rights section. If you don’t want your message and my reply publicly posted, please let me know. 2016-07-11|
The Conservatives were such twits when it comes to carbon taxes. Let’s hope the Liberals do better. Unfortunately, they have not promised much.
~ Roedy (born:1948-02-04 age:68)
- The Conservatives complained that carbon taxes raise revenue, a heavy burden on the taxpayer. But the government can choose to reduce other taxes to make the taxes revenue neutral if they so please.
- The Conservatives complained that carbon taxes raise prices of dirty fuels. But that is what they are supposed to do. Carbon taxes are intended to encourage people to switch to cleaner fuels.
- The Conservatives complained carbon taxes reduce consumption of dirty fuels. The companies that make dirty fuels won’t like it. That is what the taxes are for. We are doing this to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to slow global warming. We have to do that even if it makes some people uncomfortable. You might say that survival is not mandatory, but that is only a Conservative view. Reducing greenhouse gases is not an optional frill. According to environment Canada, global warming’s destructive effect is second only to global thermonuclear war. Global warming sounds benign, but it is anything but. Science traditionally understates: black hole, big bang, the KT event, Little Boy, Tungusta Event…
- Conservatives pretended their hearts bled for those who could afford to switch away from dirty fuels or install better insulation. Well, use some of the revenue from the carbon tax to help out such people.
- Conservatives claimed a carbon tax would paralyse the Canadian economy. However, Sweden implemented a carbon tax back in the 1990s. Their emissions fell and their GDP (Gross Domestic Product) rose contrary to the predictions of the big oil lobby. There are other benefits to clean energy besides reducing CO₂ emissions.
This page is posted
Optional Replicator mirror
Your face IP:[220.127.116.11]
You are visitor number|