sanitation : Gay & Black Glossary
If you are immune compromised, you need to take extra care with sanitation. Here are some tips to protect
yourself. These sound overly prissy and obsessive, but they can save you many hours wedded to the porcelain.
- Avoid touching surfaces in a public washroom. Use a paper towel to grasp the tap handles or the exit door
- Even in a private home, tap handles and the bathroom doorknob quickly become contaminated. Clean them
frequently. To protect others from the load of bacteria you are carrying, wipe down the taps and door knob
after every time you use a bathroom. If you are not careful, you will re-infect yourself after you wash your
hands when you turn the taps off.
- When you wash your hands make sure you soap up all over your hands, and scrub up past the wrists. A quick
rinse will not suffice. When you think you are done, give them a sniff to check for cleanliness.
- Avoid travelling in public transport when it is crowded.
- Avoid eating at a pot luck or whenever a number of amateurs have prepared the food. All it will take is one
of them making a small mistake in preparation or preservation to make you deathly ill.
- Be aware than any surfaces the public touches are crawling with all manner of bacteria. These would include
poles you grip in bus, shopping cart handles, fast food restaurant tables, escalator railings, stair railings
and push door handles to enter a store or business. Be careful not to touch your face until you have washed
your hands after touching any one of these surfaces.
- Treat raw or partly cooked meat as if it were radioactive. Be very careful not to eat it, or anything it
has touched, or anything that has touched a surface it has touched.
- Don’t eat anything whose best-before date has expired.