webmail : Java Glossary
©1996-2017 Roedy Green of Canadian Mind Products
Email delivered using a browser without a traditional POP3/SMTP email client. Webmail
has three advantages:
In most other ways webmail is inferior to using an email client.
- You can access your mail on someone else’s computer without installing
any software, in particular at an Internet café.
- The mail provider handles backup for you. You won’t likely loose your
entier collection of mail.
- You don’t need to learn a new program. The mail works in typical klutzy
The main webmail providers are Google
Gmail, Yahoo mail, Microsoft
Hotmail and AOL. IAPs (Internet Access Providers)
now often offer it as well such as telus.net and shaw.ca.
- It is much slower.
- There is almost no spam filtering
- Usually you are bombarded with ads.
- Usually, you can’t send or receive attachments easily. Yahoo allows you
- Your online storage is typically limited to a few megabytes. GMail is the
exception. It is unlimited.