VirtualViewer : Java Glossary
©1996-2017 Roedy Green of Canadian Mind Products
née FlexSnap, Snowbound Software’s image and document viewing and
annotating package for Java. It lets you view and annotate documents in 40 different formats single a single viewer. Annotation makes no change
to the original document.
To view a single page, the server only has to send that one page of a document.
They have an extended Flash demo that explains it quite well.
It comes in three versions:
- Where there is considerable smarts in the server.
- Where the brains are in an Applet.
- Where the server translates everything to HTML5 (Hypertext Markup Language v 5) for the browsers so they need not run any Applets or plug-ins.
There is a companion product called RasterMaster for manipulating images in many different
- speed. You use a single viewer for all the different formats.
- speed: only the part of a document you are actually looking at needs to be
- You don’t leave files lying around on the client machine as a side effect
of viewing as you do with traditional viewers.
- By keeping annotations separate from the original document, you avoid risk of
corrupting the original.
- It has an Ajax