Americans are having unbelievable problems with people shooting each other. The problem is multipronged:
- The second amendment.
- The powerful NRA (National Rifle Association) lobby who buy and threaten all politicians.
- The political influence of gun manufacturers.
- America’s romantic notion of guns, the old west, the military and masculinity.
No other country has these factors and no other country has so much trouble with gun deaths, no where near as much.
For a start, the USA should have no-shooting list, similar to the no-fly list. It would include:
- People with a history of gun violence or threats.
- People with a history of mental illness.
- terrorists and people who belong to terrorist organisations.
- robbers, burglars, muggers.
There is no reason to put felons in general on the list. Someone who embezzles from a bank is not a risk.
In Canada, if someone is seen carrying a weapon in public, they are presumed dangerous and/or insane. The police get a flurry of calls. In the USA, the public have to wait until he kills someone before taking any action.
Nobody but a mass murderer needs a clip with more than 6 rounds to go hunting. Ban them.
The problem is such laws would be found unconstitutional. Well, what are you waiting for? Amend the constitution. It’s been done 27 times. How many more kids have to die before you take action?~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:70)