Canada has a problem a shortage of affordable housing. The problem started when the federal government got out of the low-cost housing business. Politicians keep suggesting schemes to solve the problem by granting money to homebuyers. This is wrong headed for two reasons:
- Putting money into the pool just drives up prices.
- The money for the grants comes from people poorer than the people receiving them.
To solve the problem you need more affordable housing near where people work. There are several ways to do that:
~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:70)
- Move the work to areas with plenty of low-cost housing.
- Encourage higher density: apartments, townhouses, duplexes, multi-family homes.
- Government builds affordable housing or arranges taxes to encourage others to do it.
- Penalties for wasting housing/land, e.g. vacant homes or two people living in a home designed for ten.