Spam Detective : Java Glossary
©1996-2017 2008-07-28 Roedy Green of Canadian Mind Products
I have left this tombstone entry for historical interest.
- Spam Detective
defunct. Sold and renamed to MailShield who botched it so badly it no longer
functioned at all. It works with MAPI (Messaging API),
POP3 (Post Office Protocol version 3)
and SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol)
It runs in parallel with your normal mail program. You turn off your mail’s
server’s automatic mail pick up, to give itna chance to look at the mail first.
It decides which is spam and which is not, based on words in the subject and body of
the message. You can also specify that some words are merely indicative, not proof of
spam. It will maintain lists of known spammers and known friends. It then deletes the
spam from your server. Then, you tell your mail program to pick up the mail and it
picks up just the spam-free mail from the server.
- Intuitive and easy to use once you understand the basic principles it works
- Eudora has similar filters, but they don’t always work.
- Spam Detective is very quick to set up a filter for a word or sender.
- The author of the program rapidly answers the questions you send to him.
- you can keep your same email account.
- The virus-infected attachments on spam are never downloaded.
- It is somewhat clumsier dealing with two mail control programs (e.g. Spam
Detective plus Eudora) instead of one.
- You pick up your spam free mail twice, though spam detective only picks up the
first 8K to examine. This can also be considered an
advantage if you get long spams because you get rid them without downloading them
in their entirety.
- It is an extra cost.
- Spam Detective does not learn from what you delete. It only filters what you
tell it to.
- You are an island. None of the experience of others in collecting spam lists
has any effect on what is considered spam in your machine.
- It has an annoying bug. If new mail arrives while you are marking messages for
deletion, it discards all your markings. The author says this will be fixed in the