Four Grounds to Impeach Trump
By my count there are now four grounds to impeach Trump. The fifth seems to be on its way.
- In taking the oath of office the president promises to faithfully execute the laws and the Constitution. But Trump is unfaithfully executing his duties as president by accusing his predecessor, President Obama, of undertaking an illegal (and impeachable) act.
- Article I Section 9 of the Constitution forbids government officials from taking things of value from foreign governments. But Trump is making big money off his Trump International Hotel by steering foreign diplomatic delegations to it, and will make a bundle of China’s recent decision to grant his trademark applications for the Trump brand — decisions Chinese authorities arrived at directly because of decisions Trump has made as president.
- The 1st Amendment to the Constitution bar any law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof. But Trump’s ban on travels into the U.S. from six Muslim countries — which he initiated, advocated for, and oversees — violates that provision.
- The 1st Amendment also bars abridging the freedom… of the press. But Trump’s labeling the press as enemy of the people and choosing whom he invites to news conferences based on whether they’ve given him favorable coverage, violates this provision.
- Article III Section 3 of the Constitution defines treason against the United States as adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort. Evidence in mounting that Trump colluded with Russian operatives to win the 2016 presidential election.
The question is no longer whether there are grounds to impeach Trump. The practical question is whether there is the political will. As long as Republicans remain in the majority in the House (where a bill of impeachment originates), it’s unlikely.
Another reason why it’s critically important to flip the house in 2018.~ Robert Reich (1946-06-24 age:71)
Impeachment measures political support in the house and senate. It is not an impartial trial. Republicans don’t care how depraved, corrupt, criminal or unconstitutional Trump is. They simply calculate if they personally will fare better with or without Trump. As Trump bragged, he can get away with murder. Normally, they vote along party lines. However, he will be impeached the day Republicans believe the voters will dump them at the next election for supporting Trump.