DMP : Java Glossary
©1996-2017 Roedy Green of Canadian Mind Products
DMP (Download Management Protocol). A protocol for downloading files that also captures
extra information about them such as the URL (Uniform Resource Locator)
they came from. This allows automatic notification of updates and related
announcements and one click download of updates. It does not cover automatic
installation. Only the Go!Zilla file downloader supports it for Windows
a site to provide information about any file. This information includes the
Although it was previously documented on the Go!Zilla site, it has since been
removed. To use it you create links to .DMP files on your server. Go!Zilla (or
another program) should download the DMP
file, parse it and use the information therein for downloading the file.
- file name.
- the long filename of the file (if the filename is in 8.3 format).
- multiple file locations (URL
s) where the file can be downloaded.
- a URL to a rich text file (.rtf) for Go!Zilla to monitor
that contains announcements about the file.
- the URL of the file’s homepage (such as
- a user.
- friendly plain text name for the file (such as Quake
- description text for the file.
- version of the file.
- file size of the file (64-bit file sizes will be supported by Go!Zilla
- the name of the archive which contains the file (if the file is in an
File date and time are not currently stored within the DMP
file; those attributes tend to vary across servers. However, the format is extensible
and could store such information. Sun has a competing similar project called
Java Web Start.