When All Cars Are Driverless
The big benefits of driverless cars don’t come until nearly all vehicles are driverless:
- cars can drive bumper to bumper safely.
- cars can drive at full speed. Global co-operation will greatly reduce congestion.
- cars can drive on narrower lanes.
- cars can drive safely in snow, fog, blinding rain. Other cars will not crash into you.
- Cars can be lighter and cheaper because they don’t need airbags and a crash resistant cage.
- You don’t need stop lights, stop signs, traffic cops etc. You can go through an intersection without stopping if there are no cars coming.
Some come right away:
~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:70)
- can do errands empty, e.g. pick up new appliance.
- can ferry kids around without a driver.
- can drive drunk or stoned safely
- no distractions from cell phone, talking passengers, good looking behinds on the street.
- can read, watch movies, talk… while driving.
- driverless taxis will be quite cheap. You might not even need your own car.