Suitable Uses For Durable Plastics
Plastics are about most indestructible things mankind has ever invented. It is insanity to use them for disposable products. They endure for thousands of years after being discarded in landfills or the ocean. The fossil fuels used to make them are far too valuable to waste this way. Here is how to avoid discarded plastics:
~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:70)
- Buy instant coffee powder in glass jars rather than plastic.
- Buy salad dressing in glass jars rather than plastic.
- Buy drink mixes that come in cardboard containers rather than pre-mixed drinks in plastic bottles.
- Use real cutlery at a picnic.
- Use a ceramic coffee cup instead of a disposable one. You can carry a Thermos to keep coffee fresh and hot all day. Many take out places will now will let you use your own cup.
- Carry your own Brita-filtered water in a Thermos or permanent bottle rather than being a chump and paying $3 for a bottle of low-quality, untested water.
- Use your own hemp shopping bag. It is stronger, carries more and is more comfortable. You can choose a decoration with your own message or artwork instead of someone else’s ad.
- Wash and reuse sandwich bags.
- Use paper mushroom bags from the grocery store, or permanent mesh bags for produce rather than plastic bags.
Message from the Gyre