How Old Is The Earth?
Science tells us the earth is 4.543 billion years old and the universe is 13.82 billion years old. Christians tells us both the earth and the universe are 6000 years old.
Christians believe as they do because it says so in a book written by bronze age desert dwellers. This book makes the preposterous claim it was written by the creator of the universe, even though all the science it in it is completely wrong. A creator could not have built a universe of quarks, gravity relativity etc. labouring under so many delusions. It is clearly counterfeit.
Scientists have thousands of way of measuring the age of the earth. Most require technical knowledge to understand. Some of the simpler-to-understand ways we know the earth is older than 6000 years include:
~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:69)
- Counting ice core rings, one per year.
- Counting layers of river sediments deposited, one per year.
- Many different types of radioactive dating, in the simplest case measuring what percentage of a radioactive material has decayed.
- Tracing tree ring patterns back from living trees to petrified trees. One ring per year.
- The fine layering of fossils from primitive to contemporary. Since each species lived only a relatively short time compared with the age of the earth, its fossils act as a time calibrator.
- Using the DNA (Deoxyribonucleic Acid) mutation clock.
- Studying the fine motions of the planets and working backwards.
- Studying the distribution of ash from volcanic eruptions. The ash is a time calibrator wherever it appears in the sediments anywhere in the world. We know roughly how frequently any particular volcano erupts.
- Looking at the rates of continental drift and working backwards. We know what the continents used to look like and how long it would have taken them to morph from the way they were to the way they are.