I applaud the first nations people holding Stephen Harper’s feet to the fire over his abandoning the environment to the short term financial interests of big oil. However, First Nations people have been infected with a truly nutty delusion. They imagine if Harper were out the way, they could hunt and fish without restriction the way they did traditionally before the coming of the white man. That is utterly impossible. Why?
~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:70)
- There are far fewer fish and animals now than there were back then.
- There are thousands of times more people, both white and first nations than there were back then.
- All those people have been hunting and fishing with factory technology driving animal and fish populations down.
- The best hunting lands have been paved over with cities or turned to farms and tree farms. The animal habitat has shrunk.
- Mining and manufacturing have poisoned most of the lakes, rivers and inlets.
- People now outnumber the animals. Originally the animals greatly outnumbered the people.
- If first nations people hunted and fished the way they did in 1400, they would drive every species extinct within a decade. They simply can’t. It has nothing to do with government regulations. It is a childish insanity to think huge populations of first nations people can hunt and fish all they want without killing off all the remaining fish and animals. Too much has changed.