Governments incarcerate people for five basic reasons:
- To seek revenge, to punish people for their bad behaviour.
- To modify their mental programming so that they will not commit more crimes.
- To keep them away from potential victims.
- To make money building and running prisons.
- To stop people from voting for a candidate you do not support.
Sam Harris argues that reason (1) may well not make sense. Even if this reason is discredited, there are still four other reasons to incarcerate.~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:70)