The Arguments Against Meat-Eating
Those whose defend meat eating claim the opposition to eating meat is squeamishness over killing Bambi. That is a straw man argument. It is actually about:
~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:70) source
- Cruel treatment of animals on factory farms.
- Massively inefficient use of water. 20,864 liters/kilogram 2,500 gallons/pound
- Massively inefficient use of grain. You need 20 kg of feed to produce 1 kg of meat.
- Improper treatment and disposal of manure. A single feedlot produces as much shit as an entire city. It is dumped into streams and rivers without treatment.
- Massive injections of the potent greenhouse gas methane CH₄ into the atmosphere from cattle farts. The meat industry contributes more global warming pollution than cars and transportation.
- Obscene government subsidies on meat and feed. Without subsidies, a steak would cost $200.