Above the Law
Mike Huckabee argues that Christians should be above the law. They demand special privilege. For example:
- Christian government clerks should have the right to refuse to issue marriage licences to same sex couples.
- Christian hospitals should have the right to refuse to dispense birth control.
- Christian bakeries should have the right to refuse to sell cakes to people they suspect are gay.
- Christian lunch counters should have the right to refuse service to gay or black people.
- Christian hotels should have the right to refuse service to gay people.
Christians are attempting to force their religion on many of other people who do not recognise its authority. There is nothing in the constitution that says Christians are exempt from laws they do not like. A Christian is not exempt from murder, even if he does it for religious reasons (e.g. killing a gay person or a non-virgin bride). He is not exempt from any other crime. There many good reasons not to make any exceptions.
This is not new. Christians demanded exemption from laws barring discrimination against blacks, again using religion as an excuse.~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:69)