Trump wants to build a very expensive wall along the entire US/Mexico border. This is not such a good idea. Why?
~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:70)
- The net flow of illegal immigrants is out of the USA. They are finding the USA too unwelcoming, too racist. There is no need for a wall to stop immigrants who are not coming anymore.
- According to Time magazine, the wall will cost $70 billion. It will further require annual maintenance and manning. There are thousands of higher priority uses for that money including putting it back in the taxpayers’ pockets.
- The wall will block all animal migration. This means many species will go extinct.
- The wall is primarily a monument to Trump’s ego.
- The terrain along the border is mostly remote and uninhabited. There are hardly any border crossings there. Most of the wall won’t actually stop anyone.
- Trump used the need for the wall during his campaign to create racist panic and gain votes. It will not save anyone from being raped. Mexican illegal immigrants are more law abiding than native born Americans. They want to avoid, at all cost, interactions with the police.
- The vast majority of illegal immigrants arrive by commercial airliner with tourist visas. The wall will do nothing to stop them.
- It will do nothing to stop people coming in by boat.
- All over the world, people find ways to breach such walls, even when manned my machine gunners with orders to kill.
- American agriculture, many other businesses and nannies depend on cheap illegal immigrant labour. Native-born people refuse these jobs. Employers will have to more than double the wages to attract workers. This means prices will sharply rise and American agricultural exports will drop.
- Imagine if Canada, the USA and Mexico formed something like the EU. You could move freely across borders. It would not be that terrible. You would have to tear the wall down, the way the Berlin wall was torn down. You don’t need such anal control of people’s movement. This is a huge expense just to humour racists.