Particularly in the USA, every once in a while someone openly refuses to obey some law such as:
- refusing to wear a bike helmet.
- drinking and driving.
- driving while chatting on a cellphone.
- refusing to pay taxes.
- refusing to serve blacks or gays. E.g. Kim Davis (marriage licence clerk) and Jack Phillips (wedding cake baker) refused to serve gays.
- placing religious symbols on public property.
- indoctrinating non-Christian kids with Christianity in public schools.
The law does not care why you refuse. They will put you in jail for contempt. However, people offer a variety of excuses that they imagine are valid in law:
- I don’t wanna.
- My personal religion (that I made up by cherry picking) says I should not have to obey the law.
- God told me I should not have to.
If people could avoid any laws they wanted to that easily, there would be no point to law. These resistors are so totally focused on having things their way, they fail to see the big picture. For example, tax resistors still expect water, police and fire service funded by other people paying taxes.
If you don’t like the laws, lobby to change them. Then the police will be helping enforce them the way you want. It may require a constitutional amendment. You don’t just impose your personal opinions on the majority.
People who try to take the law into their own hands are traitors. They are usurping democracy. They should be treated almost as seriously as terrorists. Kim Davis has the same goal as Osama bin Laden, namely replacing America’s democracy with a theocracy. If she gets her way, and religion trumps law, anyone can ignore any law they please. That is anarchy.The Kim Davis Story
~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:69)