In a secular society, just how free should fundamentalists be to live their traditional lives?
- Should they be allowed to molest children, as Catholic priests and Orthodox Jewish rabbis are.
- Should they be allowed to beat their own children? other people’s children?
- Should they be allowed to deny their children medical care?
- Should they be allowed to educate their children in medieval beliefs and deny them understanding of the modern world?
- Should they be allowed to use threats of torture to brainwash their children in the group’s beliefs?
- Should they be allowed to treat women as slaves?
- Should they be allowed to discriminate against, harass or kill homosexuals?
- Should they be allowed to wear traditional dress at all times?
- Should it be considered rude to ask them about their cult dress and customs?
- Should it be considered rude to ask them what evidence they have for their cult beliefs?
My thinking is, you should treat people who belong to fundamentalist religions the same way you would treat anyone else. You would not let your Humanist neighbours hurt their kids, so I see no reason to let fundamentalists get away with it.
If somebody put up a 12,000 watt Christmas display, I see no reason you should not ask them why they did it. If people wear odd clothing, peculiar hair styles or exhibited other attention-getting behaviour, surely they want to tell you why they are doing it, unless they are embarrassed about it, were bullied into it, and would rather not be doing it.~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:69)