A flat-earther in the modern day has to ignore the following:
- Ships coming over the horizon appear mast first.
- Satellites would not work if the world were flat.
- GPS (Global Positioning System) would not work if the world were flat.
- Nobody has ever detected the edge of the world.
- The angles on a triangle on a flat surface add up to 180°. The angles on a triangle on a sphere add up to more than 180°.
- If you do surveying, and do not correct for the curved surface of the earth, the co-ordinates of your survey points will not be consistent.
- Photos from space or from the moon show that the earth is spherical.
- All the other large bodies in space are spherical.
- All astronomers agree that the earth is a rough sphere. (slightly pear shaped actually)
Why then does a flat-earther persist in believing the earth is flat?
- On a small scale, the earth appears flat. They carefully avoid reading any explanation of why this is so.
- They imagine Australians would fall off the earth if the earth were a sphere. They carefully avoid reading any explanation of why this does not happen.
So basically the problem is a trust in gut intuition that trumps all evidence.
Climate Change Deniers are Like Flat Earthers
There are two kinds of climate change deniers: professional and fools. The professionals are not at all confused about climate change, however, they disseminate false information about climate change in order to prolong the life of their fossil fuel investments, knowing full well they will ruin the planet in the process. They don’t care. They are elderly. Even though folk like the Koch brothers are billionaires, nothing is more important to them than a few extra points of profit. They are mentally ill planetary traitors, but because they are rich, we don’t incarcerate them.
Why then do the fools become climate change deniers?
~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:69)
- Wishful thinking. Nobody wants to contemplate the end of our planet.
- Wishful thinking. Nobody wants to divert some of their income to deal with climate change.
- The propaganda that hooked them was skillfully written to exploit their prejudices and ignorance.
- Religion teaches people to distrust science.
- People like the Koch brothers encourage extremely stupid people to think they are smarter that the combined efforts of the world scientists. Such a delusion feels great.
- The echo chamber and peer pressure. Climate deniers tend to have similar political views, and avoid talking to anyone else. Denying climate change is required for acceptance in the group.
- They have predecided that all science is corrupt, therefore they must scrupulously avoid reading any least it prove compelling. They are like the clerics who refused to look through Galileo’s telescope.