Defensive and Aggressive War
Recruiting posters always talk of defending the homeland even when your country clearly attacked first and the other country is a small fraction the size of yours.
There are two kinds of wars:
- A war where your country is attacked.
- A war where your country attacked someone else.
Usually in the first type there is a draft and in the second there is not, though there was a draft for the Viet Nam war. There is a pressing need for young men to defend their country in the first sort of war. In the second, there is not. The first sort of war is legal; the second is not.
Why then do people enlist for the second type of war? They are obviously well aware they will be asked to bully, torture and kill children, women and men, so they could not have that big an objection to doing it.
- They like killing. They are natural serial killers who seek a socially acceptable outlet.
- They are sadists. They seek socially acceptable outlet for their cruelty.
- They want to get away from their wives and families. They prefer male camaraderie.
- They enjoy the adrenalin thrill of combat.
- They love playing with high tech war toys.
- They are rapists or child molesters seeking unlimited outlets where they will not face legal repercussions.
- They have committed some crime and are looking for a way to quickly disappear until the heat is over.
- There is a family tradition of enlisting in the military. The enlistee has no mind of his own and does whatever his parents demand no matter how morally repugnant.
- The enlistee is a high school dropout with no marketable skills. It is a choice between becoming a drug dealer, going on welfare or enlisting and killing innocent people. He chose to become the lowest-pay grade hit man.
- They have master/slave fantasies. The idea of big bellowing sadistic sergeant with his foot up their butt turns them on something fierce.
- They are seeking a socially acceptable means of suicide.
These are just some of the good reasons to stay well away from such psychotic people as friends, lovers or spouses.~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:69)