There is a CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) radio program called Tapestry to celebrate woo and jeer at rationality. The guests prefer miraculous over mundane explanations. For example, they would prefer the explanation god manifests tears on statues to the one that there was a leaking toilet on the floor above. (In India a skeptic was arrested for pointing out the leaky toilet and warning against drinking the tears.)
Why do they do the prefer woo?
- The miraculous is more thrilling.
- They can just make stuff up, and feel they are superior the world’s greatest scientists.
- They don’t have to deal with the world as it is. They can construct it as they please.
- To deny delusional experiences clearly caused by mental imbalance.
- Because they do not realize the power of the mind to generate a subjective experience even when it is working perfectly normally.
The CBC is a government organisation. As such, it should honour the separation of church and state. It should not be broadcasting propaganda for particular religions or sects.~ Roedy (1948-02-04 age:69)